Senior Research Engineer
Office: East Building 3362
Business, Southwest Missouri State University, Springfield - 1978
Engineering, University of South Florida, Tampa Bay - 1976
A.A.S., Industrial Electrical Tech., St. Louis Community College, Meramec - 1984
B.S., Information Management, Washington University School Of Medicine - 2005
Kirk Smith, BS (Information Management), AAS (Industrial Electronics Technology) joined the Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology in 1992. Prior to that he worked in Electronics Research and Development where he helped design and develop sequential event recorders for the power industry, an automated insecticide sprayer for the cattle industry, and a structured light 3D surface imaging system for a commercial enterprise. In 1992 the 3D imaging technology was transferred to Washington University and Mr. Smith was employed to help develop and support medical and commercial three-dimensional imaging projects involving visualization, anthropometry, solid modeling, and rapid prototyping. Mr. Smith has applied his electronics and three-dimensional imaging expertise in numerous musculoskeletal and craniofacial projects.
Mr. Smith’s research interests are to apply imaging technology to address medical, scientific, and commercial needs. He is particularly interested in musculoskeletal, craniofacial, and biomechanical related studies. Mr. Smith is also interested in applying imaging methods to anthropology and related fields and in developing databases to address the research needs of scientific studies.
- Commean PK, Smith KE, Bhatia G, Vannier MW, Geometric design of a multisensor structured light range digitizer, SPIE Optical Engineering, Vol. 33 No. 4, 1349-1358, Apr. 1994.
- Bhatia G, Vannier MW, Smith KE, Commean PK, Riolo J, Young LV, Quantification of facial surface change using a structured light scanner, Annals of Plastic Surgery: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Vol. 94, No. 6, pp. 768-774, Nov. 1994.
- Commean PK, Smith KE, Bhatia G, Vannier MW, Validation of spiral computed tomography and optical surface scanning for 3D limb prosthesis design, Proceedings IMAGE VII Conference, Image Society, Tucson, Arizona; pp. 369-381, June 12-17, 1994.
- Bhatia G, Vannier MW, Commean PK, Smith KE. Surface imaging of the human body. Proceedings of the Visualization in Biomedical Computing Conference, Rochester, MN, published by SPIE Vol. 2359, pp 329-340, 4-7 Oct. 1994.
- Bhatia GH, Fiehler G, Smith KE, Commean PK, Vannier MW, A practical surface patch registration technique, SPIE's International Symposium on Photonics for Industrial Applications, Boston, Massachusetts, 31 Oct. - 4 Nov. 1994, SPIE Proceedings Vol. 2355 Sensor Fusion VII, pp 135-146.
- Bhatia GH, Smith KE, Commean PK, Whitestone J, Vannier MW, Design of a multisensor optical surface scanner, SPIE's International Symposium on Photonics for Industrial Applications, Boston.
- Massachusetts, 31 Oct. - 4 Nov. 1994, SPIE Proceedings Vol. 2355 Sensor Fusion VII, pp 262-273.
- Kohn LAP, Cheverud JM, Bhatia G, Commean PK, Smith KE, Vannier MW, Anthropometric optical surface imaging system repeatability, precision, and validation, Annals of Plastic Surgery, (34) 362-371, 1995.
- Smith KE, Vannier MW, Commean PK, Spiral CT volumetry of below knee residua, IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp 235-241, 1995.
- Vannier MW, Smith KE, Commean PK, Bhatia G. In situ evaluation of lower limb prosthesis fit by spiral computed tomography, SPIE Medical Imaging 1995: Image Processing, San Diego, CA, February 26 - March 2, 1995, Vol. 2434, pp 438-451.
- Smith KE, Commean PK, Bhatia G, Vannier MW, Lower limb remnant volumetry - validation of spiral CT and optical surface scanning. Computer Assisted Radiology (CAR), 9th International Symposium and Exhibition, Berlin, Germany, June 21-24, 1995, pp 1235-1240.
- Smith KE, Commean PK, Bhatia G, Vannier MW, Validation of spiral CT and optical surface scanning for use lower limb remnant volumetry, Prosthetics and Orthotics International, Vol. 19, pp 97-107, 1995.
- Smith KE, Bhatia GH, Vannier MW, Assessment of mass properties of the human head using different 3-D imaging modalities, Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp 278-284, 1995.
- Commean PK, Smith KE, Cheverud JM, Vannier MW, Precision of surface measurements for below-knee residua. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol. 77, No. 5, pp 477-486, 1996.
- Commean PK, Smith KE, Vannier MW, Design of a 3D surface scanner for lower limb prosthetics: A technical note, Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp 267-278, 1996.
- Smith KE, Commean PK, Vannier MW, Residual-limb shape change: Three-dimensional CT scan measurement and depiction in vivo, Radiology, Vol. 200, No. 3, pp 843-850, 1996.
- Paul K. Commean, Kirk E. Smith, Michael W. Vannier, Charles Hildebolt, Thomas Pilgram, Precision and accuracy of 3D lower extremity residua measurement systems, SPIE Medical Imaging Vol. 2710 pp 494-510, 1996.
- Vannier MW, Commean PK, Smith KE, Mapping of residual limb changes by spiral/helical computed tomography, In: Computer Assisted Radiology, Lemke H, Vannier M, Inamura K, Farman A, eds. Computer Assisted Radiology (CAR) 1996, Paris, France 26-29 June, 1996, pp 841-846.
- Vannier MW, Smith KE, Commean PK, Actis R, Actis L, Meyers K, Szabo B, Efficient p-Version finite element modeling of below knee prostheses using spiral CT, International Symposium CAD/CAM Systems in Pedorthics, Prosthetics & Orthotics, Nuremberg. May, 1997.
- Commean PK, Smith KE, Vannier MW, Szabo B, Actis R, Finite element modeling and experimental verification of lower extremity shape change under load, Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 30, No. 5, pp 531-536, 1997.
- Vannier MW, Commean PK, Smith KE, Three-Dimensional Lower-Extremity Residua Measurement Systems Error Analysis, Journal of Prosthetics and Othotics, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp 67-76, 1997.
- Commean PK, Smith KE, Vannier MW, Lower Extremity Residual Limb Slippage Within The Prosthesis, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol. 78, No. 5, 476-485, 1997.
- Vannier MW, Commean PK, Brundsden BS, Smith KE, Visualization of socket fit in lower limb amputees by volumetric CT scanning, IEEE Computer Graphics and Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp 16-29, 1997.
- Commean PK, Brunsden BB, Smith KE, Vannier MW, Below-knee residual limb shape change measurement and visualization, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, (79) 772-82, 1998.
- Stout, SD, Brunsden, BS, Hildebolt, CF, Commean, PK, Smith, KE, Tappen, NC, Computer-Assisted 3D Reconstruction of Serial Sections of Cortical Bone to Determine the 3D Structure of Osteons, Calcified Tissue International, Vol. 65, pp. 280-284, 1999.
- Mueller MJ, Smith KE, Commean PK, Robertson DD, Johnson JE, Use of computed tomography and plantar pressure measurement for management of neuropathic ulcers in patients with diabetes, Physical Therapy, Vol. 79, No. 3, pp. 296-307, 1999.
- Smith KE, Commean PK, Mueller MJ, Robertson DD, Pilgram T, Johnson J, Assessment of the Diabetic Foot Using Spiral Computed Tomography Imaging and Plantar Pressure Measurements: A Technical Note, JRRD, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 31-40, 2000.
- Smith KE, Commean PK, Robertson DD, Pilgram T, Mueller MJ, Precision and accuracy of computed tomography foot measurements, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol 82, pp 925-929, 2001.
- Commean PK, Mueller MJ, Smith KE, Hastings M, Klaesner J, Pilgram T, Robertson DD, Reliability and Validity of Combined Imaging and Pressures Assessment Methods for Diabetic Feet. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation vol. 83, pp. 497-505, April 2002.
- Robertson DD, Mueller MJ, Smith KE, Commean PK, Pilgram TK, Johnson J, Forefoot Structural Change in Individuals with Diabetes and Prior Plantar Ulcer. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 84-A, no. 8, pp. 1395-1404, 2002.
- Mueller MJ, Hastings M, Commean PK, Smith KE, Klaesner J, Pilgram T, Robertson DD, Johnson J, “Forefoot structural predictors of plantar pressures during walking in people with diabetes and peripheral neurophathy”, Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1009-1017 July 2003.
- Hastings M, Commean PK, Smith KE, Pilgram T, Mueller MJ, “Aligning anatomical structure from spiral x-ray computed tomography with plantar pressure data”, Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 18, no. 9, pp 877-882, November 2003.
- Bolton NR, Smith KE, Pilgram TK, Mueller MJ, Bae KT. Computed tomography to visualize and quantify the plantar aponeurosis and flexor hallucis longus tendon in the diabetic foot. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2005 Jun;20(5):540-6.
- Falk D, Hildebolt C, Smith K, Morwood MJ, Sutikna T, Brown P, Jatmiko, Saptomo EW, Brunsden B, Prior F. The brain of LB1, Homo floresiensis. Science. 2005 Apr 8;308(5719):242-5.
- Mueller MJ, Lott DJ, Hastings MK, Commean P, Smith K, Pilgram T. Efficacy and Mechanism of Orthotic Devices to Unload Metatarsal Heads in People with Diabetes and a History of Plantar Ulcer. Accepted for Publication, Physical Therapy. January 2006.
- Mall NA, Nunley RM, Smith KE, Maloney WJ, Clohisy JC, Barrack RL. "The Fate of Grafting Acetabular Defects During Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty" Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010 Dec;468(12):3286-94.